Since I initiated the “Truthinlawyeradvertising.com” blog on May 31, 2017, there have been the following revelations.
- Many lawyers have totally supported the blog while the only complaint has come from one of the three biggest spending solicitation advertisers who has graciously given us the name of “Silly Blog.”
- Out-of-town and state law firms are actively soliciting business in the metropolitan areas of Tennessee in increasing numbers.
- Most of the out-of-state advertisers have skeleton offices with limited staff and office space in each city and toll free numbers connecting to their main office in their hometowns.
- To satisfy the licensed Tennessee attorney requirement, some out-of-state law firms have established associations with Tennessee attorneys that have a fulltime office in another area of the state.
- Millions of dollars are being spent on social media advertising primarily through newspaper, television, radio and billboard advertising.
- Most of the billboard advertisers do not mention their main offices are out of state.
- Local bar associations have taken minimum or non-existent roles in encouraging parties seeking legal counsel to employ local counsel to represent them in legal matters.
- The Truth in Lawyer Advertising.com blog has been publicized through the Chattanooga and Tennessee Bar Association memberships, the Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association, and word of mouth to approximately 15,000 attorneys.
- The fighting between local and out-of-town advertising law firms has resulted in increased spending in their budgets for television-radio-billboard time and space.
- One of the big time advertisers has now taken a more subtle approach to their advertising by stressing “professionalism” which our office has used for several years on our firm website at www.summersfirm.com.
- The public is becoming increasingly frustrated with the constant solicitation commercials on radio and television.
- The field of lawyer advertising has expanded from personal injury to bankruptcy, social security, divorce and criminal law.
- Local and cable television solicitations contain disclaimers in fine print that are too small to read but contain the language required by out-of-state governing bodies on lawyer advertising.
- Millions of dollars are being taken out of the local economy by out-of-state law firms through social media.
- Millions of dollars are also being taken away from the vast majority of non-advertising (99%) attorneys who do not hold themselves out as “experts” but who can capably handle the personal injury social security, bankruptcy, criminal law, etc.
I encourage you to buy local products and hire local, reputable attorneys!